Saturday, August 1, 2009
Point/Counterpoint: Am I a New Yorker?
Point: I am a New Yorker
1. I have lived in five different apartments in New York, in three different boroughs. I even spent a summer living in an NYU dorm in Kip's Bay, an area many native New Yorkers have never even heard of.
2. When riding in a cab, I turn off Taxi-TV.
3. I have been mugged (in 2003, on 15th St. between 8th and 9th Aves.)
4. I have never eaten at Bubba Gump Shrimp, the Hawaiian Tropic Restaurant, Planet Hollywood or the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square.
5. I was an aspiring actress/singer for several years and have performed at the Mercury Lounge, La Mama's, and St. Ann's Warehouse.
6. I have no idea what gasoline costs nowadays.
7. I have never seen Mary Poppins or The Little Mermaid on Broadway; I have, however, seen The Toxic Avenger off-Broadway.
8. I am obsessed with bagels, especially the ones at Absolute Bagels.
9. I have traveled to Coney Island to see the Nathan's Hotdog Eating Championship.
10. I love New York.
Counterpoint: I am not a New Yorker
1. I currently live in Boston.
2. I like it when strangers smile or say "hi" on the street.
3. I refuse to wait more than 10 minutes for a table at brunch.
4. I have never eaten a slice of Ray's Pizza.
5. I don't know anyone with a house in the Hamptons.
6. I require a dishwasher and a garbage disposal.
7. Other than Long, I've never been to any of the islands (Ellis, Roosevelt, Governor's, Staten).
8. I've never been to a bar/bat mitzvah.
9. I root for the Red Sox.
10. I hate New York.