Monday, February 15, 2010

"Are they made from real Girl Scouts?"


Of course, the answer is no. But even if I found out they were made from real Girl Scouts, it might not stop me from gorging on them. (Side note: Wednesday Addams = easily the highlight of Christina Ricci's career.)

I currently have two boxes in my freezer: Thin Mints and Tagalongs. I am also fond of Samoas, but I refuse to buy them since they changed the name to Caramel deLites. What is that shit about? My friend Alan pointed out that maybe the person who invented the cookie was from Samoa and trying to pay homage to his heritage. To demonstrate my solidarity with this most-likely-fictional Samoan baker, I will not buy or eat Caramel deLites.

Other cookies have undergone some name changes or the name varies depends on the region where they are sold. I distinctly remember what now are called Do-Si-Dos being called Savannahs when I was growing up. And every year, there are new kinds of cookies, like Daisy-Go-Rounds (which are apparently cinnamon-flavored) and 2010's Thank U Berry Much cookie, which according to a review on Slashfood, is excessively sweet and contains cranberry and white fudge chunks. (Side note #2: How does one become a Girl Scout cookie reviewer and what are the qualifications? Is rigorous training involved?)

You can waste a lot of time reading "Girl Scout Cookie FAQs" here. My favorite questions include "Don't Girl Scout cookies contribute to the childhood obesity problem?" and "Why didn't my Girl Scout receive her cookie patch?" (Side note #3: The answer to the latter is unfortunately not "Because the bitch didn't sell enough cookies, duh.")

But you know what's better than reading about Girl Scout cookies online? EATING THEM.


C is for Cookie, and that's good enough for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two commercial bakers are licensed by the national Girl Scout organization to produce Girl Scout Cookies: ABC Bakers and Little Brownie Bakers.The only cookie called same name by both bakers is Thin Mints. Little Brownie makes Samoas and ABC makes a similar cookie called Caramel Delites. LB=DoSiDos ABC=Peanut Butter Sandwich cookies. And so on. It all depends on which baker your council decides to use for their cookie sale. You probably had LB before, hence the Samoas.