Tuesday, September 28, 2010

So You Think You Don't Like Poetry


This poem by Robert Pinsky really needs no introduction and I'd be hard pressed to actually explain what I like about it. I like basically everything about it.
It is incredibly simple, yet profound.

Samurai Song


When I had no roof I made
Audacity my roof. When I had

No supper my eyes dined.


When I had no eyes I listened.

When I had no ears I thought.

When I had no thought I waited.


When I had no father I made

Care my father. When I had

No mother I embraced order.


When I had no friend I made

Quiet my friend. When I had no

Enemy I opposed my body.


When I had no temple I made
My voice my temple. I have

No priest, my tongue is my choir.


When I have no means fortune

Is my means. When I have
Nothing, death will be my fortune.


Need is my tactic, detachment

Is my strategy. When I had

No lover I courted my sleep.

No comments: