Friday, October 2, 2009

Vote for the People's Design Award!


Before I embarked on what's sure to be a wildly lucrative career in creative writing, I worked a 9-5 desk job in the PR/marketing department at
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. I justified this with my artistic soul by reminding myself that I was working for a cool museum alongside other artistically-minded, highly cultured individuals, and that in order to write, I needed to stay alive and in order to do that, I needed to be able to afford food and rent. Full-time job = steady paycheck, which was basically essential for me to afford to live in The City That Never Sleeps.

During my two years at CHNDM, we added a category to our annual National Design Awards: The People's Design Award.



Basically, you can vote or nominate anything that you think is well-designed (whatever that may mean to you). It can be something pretty or something functional or both. Past winners have included the
Katrina Cottage and Tom's Shoes.

To vote, nominate, or just learn more about it,
click here. Also, admission to the museum is FREE during National Design Week (Oct. 18-24).

Below are some of this year's nominees, but feel free to add more! Anyone can nominate. One year, I anonymously nominated the thong. Seriously.

aluminum coke bottles


Kindle


Envirofit Stove


Doggles

Happy voting! The winning design will be announced on Oct. 22 at the National Design Awards gala in NYC.

No comments: