Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hiking


About halfway up the mountain, I remembered: I don't much care for it.



I'm currently in Telluride, CO with college friends. Yesterday we hiked up the Bear Creek Canyon and today, we tackled the Jud Wiebe Trail, which ascends 1,200 feet.

Maybe the problem is that I'm not a good hiker -- I get winded pretty quickly and no matter how much insect repellent I put on, I still seem to be the flies' favorite.

But I think I also just don't really get the point of it -- you hike up, then you hike down. You snap a few photos along the way.

I have similar issues with non-destination walks, of the "let's just go for a walk" variety. I know it's supposed to be about the journey and not the end-point, but I'd prefer to figure out somewhere that I'd like to go and walk there rather than just wander aimlessly. Walking with no destination makes me anxious for some reason. Or if there's no particular location, I need a time frame, like an agreement with my walking companion that we will walk for 30 minutes and no matter where we are at that point, we'll stop and perhaps get a cocktail.

Sometimes I wish I were more outdoorsy. But usually only for a few seconds.

No comments: